Wednesday 19 October 2011

[SS] Room without a view

Even before my eyes were open I knew that there was a light on in the room, it was going to be strong and it was going to be sore. It turned that hazy period of blackness just before you gain consciousness into a cherry red as the light pierced my eyelids with its uncompromising luminance.

Better to get it over and done with then.

But before I had a chance and with precision-like timing an air horn went off with all the grace and charm of a brick to the face.

I opened my eyes sharply – then shut them again just as quickly – my head ached like someone was attempting the rumba with a blunt implement on the inside of my skull. Risking another look the light was still on and still sore, not sure why I expected anything else, just the natural optimist in me I guess...

Foregoing the pain I was inflicting upon myself with my ill advised game of peak a-boo I took stock of my situation. This wasn't my first rodeo, if you know what I mean. I was definitely fully clothed, definitely lying on top of a firm, yet surprisingly comfy bed and definitely had no clue how I got there. My head was spinning and my brain was having trouble focusing from one thought to the next, probably trying to stop itself leaking out my ears. And would someone please stop hitting that god forsaken air horn every 30 seconds…

C’mon, Sam get a grip

Opening my eyelids the bare minimum to let the light distinguish the room I tipped my head forward slightly to take in my surroundings. The room was no more than 4 metres square; it was clinical in its finish with a bright whiteness reflecting the light, making it all the more painful.

Everything in the room looked new – it put me on edge, it was the white – not the regular white you see in hospitals with a slight tinge of beige showing use and where the cleaners hadn’t been doing their underpaid jobs right. This white was the pure white when you look out the windows on a cold winters morning after the first snow of the year, unsullied by human touch. There was not a mark, scratch or blemish on any surface. The room had obviously never been used, it had the detached look of a room that would be used once, for one purpose then discarded. Ironically at this point I was sick on to the floor. It now no longer looked quite so white.

Ha. That will teach them – whoever they were.

The fact that I couldn’t remember last night worried me, instinctually my thumb went to the ring on my right hand’s index finger. It was still there, good, feeling for the rest of my possessions my wallet, phone and keys to my van were all still reassuring lumps in my jean pockets. The only item missing was my carving knife carried in the hidden sheave on my arm. So someone had taken the trouble of removing a hidden weapon but not taken off my potentially more lethal ring, assuming they knew what it was of course, and not forgetting the fact that that they would have to cut off my hand to get it but well….you never know. Waking up with one hand and a bloody stump is up there along with the old “village green, lamppost and nakedness” waking scenario.

With a grunt and a small whimper, I opened my eyes properly and swung my legs off of the bed onto the floor, putting my elbows onto my knees and my hands in my hair. My right hand came away glistening with congealed blood – ah that would explain the headache then. What the hell had happened? Last night was a blur, a distant memory that I couldn’t quite grasp – it kept slipping through my fingers just out of reach. The more I thought about it, the less I seemed to remember if that was even possible.

The practical side of my psyche realized that last night would have to wait; I need to know where the hell I was, and what the hell I was going to do in what appears to be a dental surgery designers wet dream. The not so practical side thought my practical side was an idiot and really just wanted to go back to sleep, the bed wasn’t that un-comfy after all.

Ignoring the need to sleep it all off, I stood up. Which proved to be all too much for my dilapidated body. The dizziness hit me like a wall, momentarily halting the process of getting to a vertical state. Shaking my head to clear the light headedness I looked down at the bed, the glistening blood on the pillow was the only sign of my time spent on top of the covers. I moved to the door – taking care to avoid my redecorating attempts from earlier. The door was a heavy steel construct with no handle, probably reinforced, I checked to see if it was unlocked, my paranoia could be all encompassing at times it would be nice to be wrong for once. The door chinked as it hit the frame and refused to move.

Damn right again.

The only other item in the room was a metal chair leaning against the wall, I turned to have a closer look and noticed the camera, attached to the corner above where my head had been lying, focusing in on me. Its penetrating red light showing my movements were being monitored, probably by some monosyllabic drone in a dark room, reporting back everything they saw. Well I watched movies, I knew how to stop that at least. Picking a clean pillow from the bed I used it's case to cover the lens. The last thing any hidden watcher saw was my middle finger. Sam 1 – Mysterious Bad Guys 0.

Walking over slightly unsteadily to the chair, I picked it up with the intention of testing the doors strength. It felt good in my hand, solid – something I could rely on. I took a breath and turned to swing it at the door – a mechanical voice suddenly filled the room “That will not be necessary 27615”

The door opened with an electromechanical buzz as the servo units driving it hadn’t had time to bed in. Bit of DW40 would sort them out, no problems. Once an engineer, always an engineer even if those days were a long time gone.

No light was on outside the room Can’t see a damn thing. It would be like stepping into the middle of a black hole but without the being horribly squashed part...or at at least I hoped so in any case. Scratching the back of my neck I considered my options, which were limited at best – wait in the light for Mr Charisma and his air horn to come and get me or go exploring in the dark with its unseen dangers and the very real possibility of lots of pain or worse…

Standing in the door way, half of my body in the light I looked back into the room and then back out into the darkness.

Ah hell, who wants to die of was old age anyway? – taking a deep breathe and adjusting the ring on my finger I stepped into the darkness. It embraced me like an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment